Saturday, April 25, 2015

Time Out For Women, Part 2


I have returned, just like I said I would, to continue lessons I learned at Time Out For Women in November 2014. (I apologize for last week’s entry. I gave you quotes without telling you who said what. I have remedied that- you will find their names along with their quotes.) Here we go:

“Having the Holy Ghost is the greatest beauty secret.”
Elaine Dalton
How many times a day do we, as women, criticize our bodies, or our hair, or even our inner “lack of talents”? I am guilty as charged. We tend to only see the negative and fail to see the amazing beauty we DO have. As Sister Dalton stated, the Holy Ghost gives us a certain look, a certain glow that can only ring through as true beauty. It may be hard to see in ourselves, but if we look at our friends, we can see those who truly seek after the spirit in their lives; they shine!

So maybe, instead of spending hours on our hair and makeup, we can steal a few more minutes to do things that help us feel and recognize the spirit; things like reading and studying the scriptures, listen to the hymns, say our personal prayers and acknowledge God in our lives. These are the things that will make us stand out to others.

“YOU are the mom of your kids-
do YOU things with them.
Don’t try to be any other mom.”
Elaine Dalton
Sister Dalton used the example of a Pinterest mom. You know, the kind that copies the really cool projects they see on Pinterest- and they do it well? And the rest of us just kind of look at pinterest longingly, but the projects we attempt kind of flop? I have to admit, I’ve gone both ways. I have done successful Pinterest projects, and I have had utter failures. Either way, I spend a lot of my time wishing I were that perfect mom- the one that can through birthday parties with party favors and themed games, cake, and other treats…

But I’m not meant to be a Pinterest mom. I need to be authentic with my kids. So what do I do? I do yoga with my son and have mini dance parties with my girls in the living room. That’s who I am- those things are authentically me. My kids need ME for ME. I was chosen to be their mother- and that means there is something I have that no other mother can give them. So, why keep trying to be somebody else? What kind of parent are you? Giving them YOU is the best thing you can do for your kids.



“As you see yourself,
Your daughters will see themselves.”
 Camille (I didn’t catch her last name)
I kind of paraphrased this quote, but this is what she was trying to say. Our kids learn from our example. Even if we tell them how beautiful they are, they will still learn from us how to treat ourselves. If I’m constantly badgering myself because I don’t live up to society’s ridiculous physical expectations of a modern woman, my girls will pick up on that and “understand” that’s how we’re supposed to treat ourselves.

Well, I don’t know about you and your daughters, but my girls deserve SO much better than that. And if they’re going to learn how to treat themselves by watching me- I have to do better at showing them how to be kind by being kind to myself. It is not an easy task when you’re not used to doing it- but my girls are worth it. I purposefully make sure I tell my girls when I feel pretty, or my hair looks awesome today, or I feel strong today- as well as telling them they’re beautiful and strong and kind. So, I’m not only teaching my girls to love themselves, I’m teaching me how to love me. Trust me- life is much nicer when I see the good in myself.

“You’re NOT broken. Look inside-
YOU have a powerful soul.”
–Kris Belcher
As one with Bipolar disorder, it is common to think and feel that I’m broken or unworthy of (fill in the blank)- that I’m not whole. So, when I heard this thought and the spirit confirmed its truth about me, I was thrilled. I didn’t fully believe it- and there are still times that this thought of being broken comes back to haunt me… are there trials? Yes. But that doesn’t mean I’m damaged goods- Quite the opposite. As I’ve learned how to manage this disorder, I’ve also learned a great deal of patience, of compassion, of strength. You might even say that through this disorder, I have become more powerful than I was before I was diagnosed, as well as before the onset of my symptoms. We are more powerful than we know.

No comments:

Post a Comment