Monday, August 11, 2014

Welcome to the Community


One week ago Sunday, my husband and I presented at a ward fireside. Even though my part was short, the Bishop of said ward read a short bio that my husband had written. In that bio, my blog was mentioned, stating that I am an advocate for those with mental illness.

After the fireside was over, a beautiful sister approached me to make sure that she had the correct information so she could send her cousin to my blog. She said that her cousin was just recently diagnosed bipolar and might need some of the support and advocacy that I offer here. I was thrilled. One of my goals in life is to be able to help others. I know bipolar can be a difficult diagnosis to accept, so I like to reach out to others as much as I can.

So, in coming home, I looked at my blog and I realized that although there are some entries that discuss my bipolar experience, some may not immediately see my blog as advocacy for those with mental illness. I was a little concerned about this at first, but later realized that this is a good thing.

First, it’s good because that means my management strategies are working. I’m not as consumed with the knowledge that I’m bipolar. My medication has taken affect. Other management techniques like keeping a routine, doing meditations, getting enough sleep, etc are doing what they should to keep my mood swings more even.

Secondly, and I say this specifically to those who have just been diagnosed, or still haven’t found the right combination of techniques to work for you; It’s important to realize that bipolar isn’t everything- it’s not life. When I was just diagnosed bipolar, and even up until last year, bipolar seemed to take over everything. I was hyper aware of everything I was doing, every pain I was causing. For the first while- yes, bipolar seems overwhelming. But it’s not the end of the world. Management is possible- I am living proof… and eventually, bipolar will take a back seat, and you can allow your life to be more balanced. There are more things that make up who you are- that keep you unique.
 
Take me, for example, I’m a daughter of a Heavenly Father- God. I know he knows me and understands me- even during a crazy episode (and I know the same is true for you). I’m a wife. I’m a mother of a 6-year-old and 20-month-old twin girls. I’m a homemaker. I’m a crafter. I exercise now- and that’s making a difference in how I carry myself (many bipolar websites talk about the importance that regular exercise has on your management plan). I have goals and plans for the future. These are some of the things that make up who I am- not bipolar. Bipolar is just a guideline. It has affect on your decisions, but it’s not everything.

You can do this; whatever your current struggle. I know it sucks at first, and you may frequently feel unworthy or imperfect, but you have support and love. If you don’t at home, contact me- I can be your support. I love you- even if I don’t know you. I understand pain. I understand hurt, depression, anger, etc. I believe whole heartedly that there is a plan for each individual; both spiritually and for your management strategies. Life can be loved again. Bipolar can take a back seat. Believe me- you can do this.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michelle! A friend of mine just told me about your talk last night at Stake Conference and oh how glad I am that she did! I wasn't able to make it to the conference but she made me a copy of your bio that was on the program and I saw your blog and had to check it out. I really wanted to email you but I couldn't find your email on this blog. I'd really love to chat with you! Will you email me? jmjones06@gmail.com --can't wait to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete