Saturday, June 11, 2016

Stress Eating

To manage well a mental illness, one must be very attentive to overall health; mental health and emotional health are vital, but so is physical health. Caring for my body includes ALL of my body, not just my head. Each part connects to the other, therefore affecting every aspect that makes up me.
I've been working very hard this past year to gain a greater physical health. Though "losing weight" has never been top priority, it has always been a hope that taking care of my physical health would result in fewer pounds. After so much work (and with the aid of a weight loss pill- as much as I hate to admit it), I finally dropped 15 pounds- and since being pregnant with my girls, got my weight below 200.

Unfortunately, the pill had to stop (after a certain time, the body gets used to the energy and suppressed appetite to the point that it no longer works). As a result, my eating returned to previous bad habits.

What do I call it? Stress eating? Yes. Comfort eating? Yes. I often have a need to feel productive- always doing something with my hands. If I'm not otherwise occupied, I grab some food- usually something sweet.


Whatever the reason, I return to the feelings of helplessness. I have again gained weight to 200 pounds. I know my eating habits and nutrition need to change- a lifestyle change, not a diet. But a lifestyle change takes longer to adjust for than my patience seems able to handle. I am at an impass.


No comments:

Post a Comment